Sometimes you just need to work on a project that's easy, but you don't want to do something that's already been done a thousand times. Lucky for me, I wasn't able to find a single person on the internet who's made something similar to this. I didn't actually plan any steps in advance for this project, I just went for it and hoped I wouldn't screw up (spoiler: I didn't).
- 1.25" dowels, cut to size (7)
- Black hockey tape
- 3" DIY button
- Black wire/string
- Spray paint: primer, red, yellow, clear coat
- Black acrylic paint pen
- Hot glue
I eyeballed the length of my first dynamite stick and used that as my measuring guide to copy/paste. This is the part where someone who knows what they're doing would sand the dowels completely smooth, then spray on the primer - and they would only do this process once.
I am not that person.
For no reason whatsoever, I did a crap sanding job, figured the paint would hide it, realized the paint wouldn't hide it, and had to re-sand once the primer was dry. Then I had to re-apply the primer. Like an idiot.
Rule #2: Always make sure your sanding is adequate before moving on the the next step.
Once the primer was finally dry, I used a lot of hot glue to hold everything together. In the photo below, you can kind of see where the glue is globbed on in the centre of the dowels. I didn't put the glue far beyond that middle section because I knew that part would be hidden by the tape, unlike the rest of it, and any glue visible in the final product would make the whole thing look messy.
Rule #1: Never let anyone see your gluey bits. Unless your project is supposed to look like an 11 year old made it unsupervised, I don't want to see any hot glue strings or glue seeping out from the edges.
I used hockey tape to wrap the dynamite, again eyeballing how wide to make that section. And then I moved on to my favourite part of this whole project: The Smiley Face.
I legit had zero idea how I was going to make a smiley face to fit my requirements. My head was filled with random ideas like making some kind of mold and tinting resin and completely over-complicating the process by 100%. Good thing I stumbled upon some 3" DIY buttons at my local craft store.
They were the perfect size and shape. I pulled off the backing and on the inside of the button, sprayed a base of clear coat, drew face with an acrylic paint pen, finished with a couple coats of yellow spray paint, and popped the backing back on (sans metal pokey-bit).
To attach the smiley was a bit more of a process than it could have been. I used contact cement, which is great for keeping things together long-term but does require some patience.
The fuse was just some paper-wrapped wire I found in the gardening section my local craft store, spray painted black, which was shoved into tiny holes I drilled into one end of the dowels. That whole section is held together with hot glue.
And now it sits on a shelf, collecting dust. As much as I enjoy making things, I rarely know what to do with them once they're finished.